Windows Universal/Store apps support

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri May 29 00:03:22 PDT 2015

On Friday, 29 May 2015 at 03:23:39 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
> On 29/05/2015 3:57 a.m., Olivier Prince wrote:
>> I searched the forum to find if there is some support for new
>> Windows
>> development technologies and I didn't find anything related
>> (except some
>> rants about WinRT 3 years ago).
>>
>> - Is there any support in D or phobos for developping this
>> kind of
>> applications?
>
> No.
>
>> - Does D support ARM as Windows target?
>
> Yes/No. ldc/gdc guys probably are a good place to start.
>
>> - Are there any plans to support the specific libraries in
>> this respect
>> (something like C++/CX extensions or COM metadata files)?
>
> What exactly do you need?

WinRT is an evolution of COM with a .NET feel to the API.

Basically it is COM where objects also need to implement a new
interface, IInspectable, and .NET metadata stored in .winmd files
is used instead of COM type libraries.

In a way WinRT is the return of Ext-VOS, the original idea behind
.NET. Most likely caused by the Longhorn failure to write
everything in .NET, as most new Windows APIs have been introduced
as COM components since Vista.

So any language targeting WinRT, or Universal Apps as they are
now known, needs to to support COM alongside the required
interfaces for interoperability between languages and be able to
consume/produce .NET metadata files.

--
Paulo