Preventing implicit conversion

Dominikus Dittes Scherkl via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 5 02:01:02 PST 2015

On Thursday, 5 November 2015 at 09:33:40 UTC, ixid wrote:

> In C++ I can add two shorts together without having to use a
> cast to assign the result to one of the two shorts. It just
> seems super clunky not to be able to do basic operations on
> basic types without casts everywhere.

+1
If automatic shrink is droped from the C legacy stuff, so
interger propagation should also be dropped (or changed to
propagate no further than to the actual size of a type). D has a
far better type system, throw away bad old C habits!

-> this would also make the defect comparison of signed to
unsigned types visible for small types and hopefully force the
introduction of the correct comparison!