String interpolation

TheFlyingFiddle via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 10 03:29:31 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 10 November 2015 at 10:41:52 UTC, tired_eyes wrote:
> On Tuesday, 10 November 2015 at 10:33:30 UTC, Tobias Pankrath
> wrote:
> Ruby:
> a = 1
> b = 4
> puts "The number #{a} is less than #{b}"
>
> PHP:
> $a = 1;
> $b = 4;
> echo "The number $a is less than $b";
>
> D:
> ???

int a = 1, b = 4;
writefln("The number %s is less than %s", a, b);

You can't do it the ruby / perl / php way in D. It could be
possible if we had AST macros in the language but as it stands
now it's not possible to do that.

the closest you could get is something like this:

string s = aliasFormat!("The number $a is less than $b", a, b);

or

aliasWrite!("The number $a is less than $b", a, b);

Not really recommended though as these would end up creating lots
of template bloat.