Looking for a language to hang my hat on.

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 17 02:53:04 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 17 November 2015 at 00:33:44 UTC, Chris Wright wrote:
> This might change, but that's a gamble, and not one I'd take.
> For projects where you need specific libraries to exist
> already, D probably won't serve your needs. (It's definitely
> easier with C++ interop, but you'd still have to write
> bindings. htod doesn't exactly work on Linux.)

Does anyone still use htod? I thought dstep was the tool being
used to generate bindings.

It depends on what OP plans to do. C interop is generally very
easy, so anything available in C is also available in D, but it
depends on how much of the glue code needs to be written. It has
never been a big deal for me. The bigger problem is figuring out
what the C library does than how to interface with it.

One additional thing I've learned is that other languages might
have large numbers of libraries "available" but a lot of it is
low quality, undocumented/poorly documented stuff. The ability to
easily write C bindings is in many cases preferable to
complicated C interop but existing libraries.