Multithreaded HTTP Download

tcak via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Nov 28 02:46:10 PST 2015

On Saturday, 28 November 2015 at 07:05:55 UTC, Mike McKee wrote:
> Hey guys, as it turns out, someone on stackoverflow.com pointed
> out in a Perl version of this question that the Bash example
> that was given is really buggy and doesn't make sense. They say
> that trying to download a single file using two socket handles
> will not speed up the download. So, this may or may not be
> possible. Your thoughts?

So, I open one TCP socket to server, and it starts sending me
data. Your internet connection speed is max 10Gb/s. You calculate
the download speed, and it is at its max. Opening another TCP
socket to server wouldn't make any difference. The only case that
would make sense is if the server limits the upload speed of each
TCP socket. Unless you are in this position, I do not expect to
see any difference by opening multiple sockets and requesting
different parts of same file.