Classes as enums in D?

Andrew LaChance via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 30 21:36:49 PST 2015

On Monday, 30 November 2015 at 08:08:20 UTC, Meta wrote:
> This doesn't quite work in D; you'd have to make each WhiteKey
> const (which is probably not a bad idea anyway if you're using
> it like an enum). However, it's better to just do this with
> plain old value-type structs. It's exactly the same as my
> previous code defining a WhiteKey class with an embedded enum,
> but using a struct instead of a class.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!  Meta's is closest to one of
the solutions I was thinking about and I'll probably end up going
that way.  It's not quite as pretty (as I would need to
explicitly add the enum "id" to the struct and switch on that
value instead of just the enum variable and I'll need to make
sure no ids overlap), but it should work.  I take it that not
many others would be interested in the syntactic sugar of these
like I am? :)