Which GDC to download?

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 1 05:55:08 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 1 October 2015 at 12:04:40 UTC, NX wrote:
> 1) Why there is a download targeting arm-linux-gnueabi(hf) and
> what exactly it means? Is this a cross-compiler which will
> produce obj files containing ARM instructions or what? If so,
> will linking just work? and how?

Yes, that's a cross compiler. You run it on Windows to produce
programs for an ARM device running Linux (for example, you do
your development on Windows but want the program to run on a
Raspberry Pi)

> 3) Which one to choose if I just want to write & compile
> windows programs?

The x86_64-w64-mingw32 one. That means Intel processor, Windows
64 bit. mingw32 is the library used by gcc to make Windows
programs.

You could also use the 32 bit one below, i686-w64-mingw32, both
should work on Windows.

> 4) x86_64-w64-mingw32 is commented as "Unsupported alpha build.
> SEH"? is that means windows-targeting version of the compiler
> is highly unstable/not ready yet? What's "SEH"?

SEH is Windows' "Structured Exception Handling". The open source
compilers (not just D, basically all of them) historically
haven't done a great job implementing that but have recently been
fixing their problems.

You'll probably be fine using it though.