Bug? 0 is less than -10

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 6 22:27:11 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 at 02:53:32 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> On 10/6/15 7:21 PM, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
>> could we have ssize_t defined in phobos somewhere so your code
>> ends up
>> being portable ;) (It's trivial to do, obviously).
>
> ptrdiff_t
>
> -Steve

It seems unnatural to use such a name when the variable has
nothing to do with pointers - it doesn't contribute to the
readability.  Yes, it's trivial, but small things cumulatively
matter.  Adam tends to use int and when that gets mixed up with
an auto size_t (eg via length) then his code doesn't compile on
64 bit.  And if it happens with his code, you can imagine this
isn't a problem that inexperienced users never encounter.