OT: why do people use python when it is slow?

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 14 07:48:20 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 14 October 2015 at 14:32:00 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 at 23:26:14 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
> wrote:
>> https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Python-so-popular-despite-being-so-slow
>> Andrei suggested posting more widely.
>
> I was just writing some R code yesterday after playing around
> with D for a couple weeks. I accomplished more in an afternoon
> of R coding than I think I had in like a month's worth of
> playing around with D. The same is true for python.

As someone who uses both D and Python every day, I find that -
once you are proficient in both - initial productivity is higher
in Python and then D starts to overtake as a project gets larger
and/or has stricter requirements. I hope never to have to write
anything longer than a thousand lines in Python ever again.