OT: why do people use python when it is slow?

data pulverizer via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 14 23:48:55 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 15 October 2015 at 02:20:42 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> On Wednesday, 14 October 2015 at 22:11:56 UTC, data pulverizer
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 at 23:26:14 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
>> wrote:
>>> https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Python-so-popular-despite-being-so-slow
>>> Andrei suggested posting more widely.
>>

>> I believe it is easier and more effective to start on the
>> research side. D will need: [snip]
>
> Great list, but tons of work!

A journey of a thousand miles ...

I tried to start creating a data table type object by
investigating variantArray:
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/hhzavwrkbrkjzfohczyq@forum.dlang.org but hit the snag that D is a static programming language and may not allow the kind of behaviour you need for creating the same kind of behaviour you need in data table - like objects.

I envisage such an object as being composed of arrays of vectors
where each vector represents a column in a table as in R - easier
for model matrix creation. Some people believe that you should
work with arrays of tuple rows - which may be more big data
friendly. I am not overly wedded to either approach.

Anyway it seems I have hit an inherent limitation in the
language. Correct me if I am wrong. The data frame needs to have
dynamic behaviour bind rows and columns and return parts of
itself as a data table etc and since D is a static language we
cannot do this.