OT: why do people use python when it is slow?

Chris via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 15 02:40:47 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 14 October 2015 at 18:17:29 UTC, Russel Winder
wrote:

> The thing about Python is NumPy, SciPy, Pandas, Matplotlib,
> IPython, Jupyter, GNU Radio. The data science, bioinformatics,
> quant, signal provessing, etc. people do not give a sh!t which
> language they used, what they want is to get their results as
> fast as possible. Most of them do not write programs that are
> to last, they are effectively throw away programs. This leads
> them to Python (or R) and they are not really interested in
> learning anything else.

Scary, but I agree with you again. In science this is exactly
what usually happens. Throw away programs, a list here, a loop
there, clumsy, inefficient code. And that's fine, in a way that's
what scripting is for. The problems start to kick in when the
same guys get the idea to go public and write a program that
everyone can use. Then you have a mess of slow code
(undocumented) in a slow language. This is why I always say "Use
C, C++ or D from the very beginning" or at least document your
code in a way that it can easily be rewritten in D or C. But
well, you know, results, papers, conferences ... This is why many
innovations live in an eternal Matlab or Python limbo.