What is the difference between D and C++ regarding Unique, RefCounted and Scoped?

cym13 via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 9 12:47:59 PDT 2015

Hi,

I know C++ and D without being a C++ or D guru (I know way more
about D though). When talking about memory management the problem
of RAII is often mentioned along with the fact that classes use
the GC. I know well the difference between structs and classes
and don't want to talk about the GC here.

It seems to me that just as one can manage his memory in C++
using unique_ptr, shared_ptr and basic RAII we can manage our
memory using Unique, RefCounted and Scoped.

My question is: what is possible in C++ that isn't in D? How come
that we are getting memory debates at all on this matter if we
can do the same thing? If there are differences is fixing them an
option to have something to show to D detractors?