shared array?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 14 01:57:05 PDT 2015

On Monday, 14 September 2015 at 00:53:58 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> So, while the fact that D's GC is less than stellar is
> certainly a problem, and we would definitely like to improve
> that, the idioms that D code typically uses seriously reduce
> the number of performance problems that we get.

What D needs is some way for a static analyzer to be certain that
a pointer does not point to a specific GC heap. And that means
language changes... one way or the other.

Without language changes it becomes very difficult to reduce the
amount of memory scanned without sacrificing memory safety.

And I don't think a concurrent GC is realistic given the
complexity and performance penalties. The same people who
complain about GC would not accept performance hits on
pointer-writes. That would essentially make D and Go too similar
IMO.