Speeding up text file parser (BLAST tabular format)

Fredrik Boulund via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 14 05:50:00 PDT 2015

On Monday, 14 September 2015 at 12:44:22 UTC, Edwin van Leeuwen
wrote:
> Sounds like this program is actually IO bound. In that case I
> would not expect a really expect an improvement by using D.
> What is the CPU usage like when you run this program?
>
> Also which dmd version are you using. I think there were some
> performance improvements for file reading in the latest version
> (2.068)

Hi Edwin, thanks for your quick reply!

I'm using v2.068.1; I actually got inspired to try this out after
skimming the changelog :).

Regarding if it is IO-bound. I actually expected it would be, but
both the Python and the D-version consume 100% CPU while running,
and just copying the file around only takes a few seconds (cf
15-20 sec in runtime for the two programs). There's bound to be
some aggressive file caching going on, but I figure that would
rather normalize program runtimes at lower times after running
them a few times, but I see nothing indicating that.