Speeding up text file parser (BLAST tabular format)

Fredrik Boulund via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 14 07:28:41 PDT 2015

On Monday, 14 September 2015 at 14:15:25 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> I picked up D to start learning maybe a couple of years ago.  I
> found Ali's book, Andrei's book, github source code (including
> for Phobos), and asking here to be the best resources.  The
> docs make perfect sense when you have got to a certain level
> (or perhaps if you have a computer sciencey background), but
> can be tough before that (though they are getting better).
>
> You should definitely take a look at the dlangscience project
> organized by John Colvin and others.
>
> If you like ipython/jupyter also see his pydmagic - write D
> inline in a notebook.

I saw the dlangscience project on GitHub the other day. I've yet
to venture deeper. The inlining of D in jupyter notebooks sure is
cool, but I'm not sure it's very useful for me, Python feels more
succinct for notebook use. Still, I really appreciate the effort
put into that, it's really cool!

> You may find this series of posts interesting too - another
> bioinformatics guy migrating from Python:
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/akzdstfiwwzfeoudhshg@forum.dlang.org

I'll have a look at that series of posts, thanks for the heads-up!

> Unfortunately I haven't time to read your code, and others will
> do better.  But do you use .reserve() ?  Also these are a nice
> fast container library based on Andrei Alexandrescu's allocator:
>
> https://github.com/economicmodeling/containers

Not familiar with .reserve(), nor Andrei's allocator library.
I'll put that in the stuff-to-read-about-queue for now. :) Thanks
for your tips!