how do I check if a member of a T has a member ?

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 14 08:12:11 PDT 2015

On Monday, 14 September 2015 at 15:04:00 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> On Monday, 14 September 2015 at 14:21:12 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
>> On Monday, 14 September 2015 at 14:05:01 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
>> wrote:

>>> I'll check again in a bit, but I seem to recall hasMember
>>> didn't work.  I would like to get the type of a member of a
>>> type, and I think hasMember!(T.bar.date","hour") didn't work
>>> for that.  Possibly it does work and I messed it up somehow,
>>> or it doesn't work and there is a more elegant way.
>>
>> You mean hasMember!(typeof(T.bar.date), "hour"), right?
>
> Ahh.  Probably that was why (I will check it shortly).  Why do
> I need to do a typeof?  What kind of thing is T.bar.date before
> the typeof given that T is a type?

T.bar.date is just a symbol. If you tried to actually access it
then it would have to be a compile-time construct or be a static
member/method, but it's perfectly OK to ask what type it has or
what size it has.

The simple story: hasMember takes a type as its first argument.
T.bar.date isn't a type, it's a member of a member of a type. To
find out what type it is, use typeof.