Template Oriented Programming

Adam via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 17 13:41:11 PDT 2015

I'm not sure if "Template Oriented Programming" seems to be the
way to go in D, but I've got my head mainly stuck around OOP.

I'm a bit confused about how to dive into it.

With OOP, we create interfaces, which provide a contract that all
implementers of the interface have to abide by. Delegation is
done through the interfaces to maximize independence between
those that use it. Essentially the contract/interface is the law,
and nothing is above it.

Now, with TOP, we used templates which are self contained blocks
of code that functions similar to generic classes(in fact,
identical in some cases). Templates, though, because they can
contain compile time logic checking, also can create contracts.

Right?

It sounds like TOP allows more generic contracts because the
programmer has a more powerful constraint syntax than what
interfaces define. Interface inclusion is very strict and mainly
based off of inclusion(if you include a method in an interface
then every implementation also has to include that method). TOP,
OTH, allows more loosely based constraints that are up to the
programmer(the static if part of a template).

Is this the basic idea?

Use templates when you want more power? That is, TOP can do
everything OOP can do but more? Or are these ultimately two
orthogonal concepts?