Dub package with C code

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 25 02:53:43 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 24 September 2015 at 18:19:49 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
wrote:
> On Thursday, 24 September 2015 at 02:43:20 UTC, Sebastiaan
> Koppe wrote:
>> I have just created bindings for libxlsxwriter, an c library
>> for creating excel files.
>>
>> Used the htod tool to do most of the work, and only had to
>> adjust some things - mainly because libxlsxwriter uses data
>> structures written in macro's.
>>
>> Right now I am making a dub package and I would like to aim
>> for convenience for end-users (read: me).
>>
>> Therefor I decided to include the compiled static library
>> inside the package. I only use Linux 64-bit myself, but this
>> is obviously limiting for other people.
>>
>> The other option I had was to include the whole c code, depend
>> on gcc or clang, and have dub  (somehow) first build
>> libxlsxwriter. But that seemed a bit too much...
>>
>> Another option would be to require end-users to build
>> libxlsxwriter themselves.
>>
>> What do you guys recommend?
>
> nice work!
>
> worth a little blog post on the experience so others can be
> inspired by and benefit from yours?

It seems this would be good content for the wiki. If we put this
sort of thing there, others will start to look at the wiki, and
Google will send them there. That wouldn't prevent anyone from
also posting the same content on their own blog.