Do users need to install VS runtime redistributable if linking with Microsoft linker?

Sebastiaan Koppe via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 28 09:01:53 PDT 2015

On Monday, 28 September 2015 at 15:10:25 UTC, ponce wrote:
> On Tuesday, 22 September 2015 at 09:38:12 UTC, thedeemon wrote:
>> On Monday, 21 September 2015 at 15:00:24 UTC, ponce wrote:
>>> All in the title.
>>>
>>> DMD 64-bit links with the VS linker.
>>> Do users need to install the VS redistributable libraries?
>>
>> I think they don't.
>> Generated .exe seems to depend only on kernel32.dll and
>> shell32.dll, i.e. things users already have.
>
> So I've released software with LDC 0.16.0-alpha4 Win64, and one
> user send me that http://i.imgur.com/xbU1VeS.png
>
> I thought it was only used for linking :(
>
> Does it also affect executable made with DMD and linked with MS
> linker?

Basically you executable is bound to whatever runtime you had
installed when linking the thing. If those aren't installed on
the end user's machine, you get that error. Pretty neat huh?

I had the same problem trying your Vibrant game.

I could not find out which redistributable I had to install (what
version of VS did you have installed / on what version of windows
are you?). I decided to install them all, but couldn't install
the one for 2015 (due to Windows6.1-KB2999226-x64.msu). After
trying some workarounds I gave up.

I am on windows 7 by the way.