Is it legal to use std.windows modules?

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 8 19:14:48 PDT 2016

On Friday, April 08, 2016 22:50:05 FreeSlave via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> std.windows.syserror and others have documentation comments, but
> they are not listed in online documentation on dlang.org. Is it
> ok to use functions and classes from this modules in D
> applications?

I don't know why they're missing from the bar on the left on the website.
The documentation is there, even if it's not actually linked to properly.
And std.windows.charset _is_ listed on the index page even if it's not on
the bar on the left. std.windows.registry is actually used by std.datetime,
so that's not going anywhere, and std.windows.syserror gets used by various
of the I/O relate modules, so I very much doubt that it's going anywhere
either. The only one that's guaranteed to be going away is
std.windows.iunknown, because it's being replaced by core.sys.windows.com
and is currently deprecated. std.windows.charset should arguably go away
given that we advise that folks always use the W functions and don't
actually, officially support anything older than Windows 7, and the W
functions have been around since at least Win2K. But I doubt that it's going
anywhere, and _someone_ out there is probably using it in their code even if
they really shouldn't.

So, if anything, I'd open a bug report about how std.windows is missing from
the docs rather than assume that std.windows isn't supposed to be used.
Presumably, it just got lost in some of the refactoring that's happened to
the website in the last year or two.

- Jonathan M Davis