D GUI Toolkit Comparison

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 29 07:13:32 PDT 2016

On Friday, 29 April 2016 at 13:52:59 UTC, Nordlöw wrote:
> Could somebody briefly outline the different GUI toolkits
> available in D and how they differ especially in terms of
> cleverly the make use of all idioms available in the language
> aswell as in Phobos.
>
> For instance: DlangUI and Adams D Ruppe's `simpledisplay`

simpledisplay isn't a gui toolkit really, it just does basic
things like creating windows, handling events, and other
associated foundation like clipboard access. You can access the
native handles for it to expand though (and my minigui.d does
that, but I'm still not happy with it).

So simpledisplay is more like SDL than GTK.

simpledisplay also makes zero effort to be clever, it is meant to
be simple and tries not to use Phobos at all (avoiding phobos in
a foundation library like this means faster compile times and
smaller binaries if you stick to system libraries).