arrays, mmu, addressing choices

Charles Hixson via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 8 14:45:06 PDT 2016

I have a rather large array that I intend to build. but much of it will
only occasionally be used.  Will the unused sections automatically be
paged out?  If it matters my system is Debian Linux.

This array will be indexed by a ulong.  Is there any reasonable maximum
size?  I've considered segmented addressing anyway, in case that's
needed to allow paging, and it will definitely be needed when I get
around to concurrent processing, with different sections resident in
different threads.  But if appropriate I could do that from the start.

The questions above are really for a normal array, but I'd also be
interested in how using an associative array would affect them.

I expect to eventually be using more memory than I have RAM in my
system, so designing for paging is going to be important.  (Before then
I'll be adding more RAM and a larger disk drive, but if I complete the
full design even a large disk is going to be small.)