Is it's possible to install DMD/LDC/GDC on CoreOS?

Seb via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 21 08:34:58 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 21 August 2016 at 15:25:59 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On Sunday, 21 August 2016 at 14:57:15 UTC, Seb wrote:
>> An alternative would be to compile your application locally,
>> then copy it over to your container. I don't know how similar
>> CoreOs to a typical Linux distribution is, but if it comes
>> with the typical shared libraries (libm.so, libc.so,
>> lipthread.so), this should be possible ;-)
>
> LDC also allows you to create fully statically linked
> executables (-static). It allows you to sidestep issues with
> shared library version incompatibilities, but of course there
> has been a few technical issues and lot more politicking
> regarding fully statically linked executables on Linux.
>
>  — David

Oh I totally forgot about this, despite I think it's a great
feature.
Btw @Suliman fully static linking with LDC is used for the DLang
Tour, which is built with Vibe.d and deployed using a docker
container (based on busybox). Maybe that's worth looking at:

https://github.com/stonemaster/dlang-tour/blob/master/Dockerfile
https://github.com/stonemaster/dlang-tour/blob/master/dub.sdl
https://github.com/stonemaster/dlang-tour/blob/master/.travis.yml

(it adds a bit more, because the dockerized DLang Tour runs
docker containers for each run)