[Semi-OT] I don't want to leave this language!

Ilya Yaroshenko via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 6 05:36:20 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 at 13:02:16 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 12/6/16 3:28 AM, Ilya Yaroshenko wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 at 08:14:17 UTC, Andrea Fontana
>> wrote:
>>> On Monday, 5 December 2016 at 20:25:00 UTC, Ilya Yaroshenko
>>> Phobos/Druntime are pretty good for a lot of projects.
>>
>> In theory
>
> And what seem to be the issues in practice with code that is
> not highly specialized? -- Andrei

If code is not highly specialized there is no reason to spent
resources to use C/C++/D. A company will be happy with Python,
Java, C#, Go and Swift. If one need to have C/C++ programming
level he can not use D because DRuntime. Only a subset of D can
be used. And current problem that we have not BetterC paradigm in
D specification. So, only crazy companies will consider D for
large projects. Current D is successful in small console text
routines.

If a system PL can not be used as C for highly specialized code,
it is not a real system PL.

DRuntime and Phobos is going to compete with Java and Go. It is
suicide for D, IMHO. In other hand, BetterC is a direction where
D can be populated among professionals and replace C/C++.

Ilya