[Semi-OT] I don't want to leave this language!

Timothee Cour via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 6 16:42:18 PST 2016

My 2 cents: for most applications, hotspots tend to be in a tiny percentage
of the code (ie 90/10 rule where 10% of code accounts for 90% execution
time, although my experience in large projects is even more unbalanced) ;
throwing away druntime or GC for the whole codebase based on performance
concerns amounts to (evil) early optimization.

It's far more productive to use a profiler and carefully optimize only the
parts that need to be (possibly using betterc, @nogc, ldc and optimized
compiler flags for those hotspots only).

What could be done better would be to remove friction when linking in
shared objects produced by dmd and ldc (eg, extern(D) functions have
different number of underscores in dmd vs ldc).

On that note, even if dmd is 50x slower than ldc for certain blas mir
routines, it's still valuable to have mir supported by dmd as we can always
swap in the slow parts during production runs, but we'd benefit with fast
compile time during development time,