[Semi-OT] I don't want to leave this language!

aberba via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 7 06:02:18 PST 2016

On Monday, 5 December 2016 at 17:18:25 UTC, e-y-e wrote:
> Currently I have been learning D for about a year and a half.
> This may seem like a short time, but this is the longest I have
> stuck with any language. I have only been learning for 4 years
> and I am currently in university studying first year of
> computer systems engineering.
>
> My main problem is that now I am looking for industry
> placements, it is clear that in this field C and C++ are highly
> desired. I have used C++ prior to discovering D, but much of my
> learning curve has occured while using D, and I feel quite
> comfortable using it. Using D makes me look back at what a
> great language it is compared to C++ (I know it can also be
> compared to C but I haven't used C).
>
> Failing that, think of this as another one of those 'D is
> great!' posts ;). And whatever happens, I'll certainly try and
> convince my host company to use it...

"Those who will use D will use D". Tomorrow someone else will
come and say "Oh, D is not picking up because of poor GC support
to handle memory for large scale deployments".

To the comments above, let's have a prof on what you are saying.
"Those who will use D will use D". Competition is bad. C++ did
compeat with C and we now have a beast.

Set your goals and focus on that.