Issue with dmd, linker, visualD on windows 10

aberba via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 14 03:06:10 PST 2016

I am trying to get a fellow to try D but just setting up on
windows 10 has been headache. He's currently remote. Here's the
problem. (Note I'm a Linux user and haven't used windows 10)

1. He installed dmd 2 but the command "dmd" is not recognized. He
confirmed and c:\D\dmd2\windows\bin is in system path. Why?

2. He installed visual studio 2015 and visualD(pointed it to dmd
location during installation), restarted visual studio. Without
creating a visualD project, "compile and run" does nothing when
he clicks. We haven't tried creating a project though, just using
a D file with simple "Hello, world!" code. Syntax highlighting
work though.

3. He navigated to ...dmd2\windows\bin where "dmd" command works.
But "dmd -run file.d" says Oplink error, linker exited with code