Get memory usage report from GC

tcak via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Feb 19 22:22:25 PST 2016

On Saturday, 20 February 2016 at 05:55:26 UTC, Jon D wrote:
> On Saturday, 20 February 2016 at 05:34:01 UTC, tcak wrote:
>> On Saturday, 20 February 2016 at 05:33:00 UTC, tcak wrote:
>>> Is there any way (I checked core.memory already) to collect
>>> report about memory usage from garbage collector? So, I can
>>> see a list of pointer and length information. Since getting
>>> this information would require another memory area in heap,
>>> it could be like logging when report is asked.
>>>
>>> My long running but idle program starts using 41.7% of memory
>>> (that's close to 3GB), and it is not obvious whether the
>>> memory is allocated by a single variable, or many variables.
>>
>> My mistake, it is close to 512MB.
>
> Doesn't sounds like precisely what you want, but there are
> summary reports of GC activity available via the
> "--DRT-gcopt=profile:1" command line option. More info at:
> http://dlang.org/spec/garbage.html
>
> --Jon

I checked it out now. Yes, it is not that much useful
unfortunately.

The process is a daemon. stdin, stdout, and stderr are forwarded
to /dev/null,
thus, there is nothing like getting a text report at the end of
process.

I am still looking for a way to at least hook up to GC, so when
it allocates,
or deallocates, I could log it myself.