How to detect if an array if dynamic or static

sigod via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 25 04:47:57 PST 2016

On Thursday, 25 February 2016 at 12:18:07 UTC, mahdi wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 February 2016 at 11:50:02 UTC, sigod wrote:
>> On Thursday, 25 February 2016 at 10:03:08 UTC, mahdi wrote:
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> So when we define the function, we MUST specify the array
>>> size to be able to accept a static array?
>>> Can't we just define a function which can accept any static
>>> array with any size? (e.g. a function to calculate average of
>>> a static int array of any size)?
>>
>> Static array can be accepted in place of dynamic:
>>
>> 	void foo()
>> 	{
>> 		int[3] arr = [1, 2, 3];
>>
>> 		bar(arr);
>> 	}
>>
>> 	void bar(scope int[] arr)
>> 	{
>> 		import std.stdio : writeln;
>> 		writeln(arr); // [1, 2, 3]
>> 	}
>>
>> But be careful not to escape such variables. Demonstration:
>> http://dpaste.dzfl.pl/613e04d4fe3f
>
> My question: If in your `bar` function, the code tries to add a
> new element to the dynamic array, it will be completely ok
> because array is dynamic. BUT if we pass a static array to this
> function, can this error be detected at compile time (and
> prevent a runtime error)? If so, how?

Also, if you need to append elements to an array inside of a
function, then you need to mark function arguments as `ref`:

	void bar(ref int[] arr)

Code wouldn't compile if you try to pass static array as `ref`
argument.

	Error: function f436.bar (ref int[] arr) is not callable using
argument types (int[3])