Are there any D scripting engines for use with D?

Max Klyga via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 4 11:04:48 PST 2016

On 2016-01-04 18:40:03 +0000, Jason Jeffory said:

> We have many scripting engines available for use in D more or less(lua,
> python, etc...).
>
> Is there a D scripting engine that can be easily integrated into a D
> project? A sort of "exec(<dcode>)". Something that works at compile
> time and run time possibly? If <dcode> is a static string then it
> should be able to compile it at compile time, else, run time. Also, it
> would be nice if one could set up a unique state for the code to run
> in(so it can't be hacked by harmful coding), e.g., "exec(<dcode>,
> state)", where state is the state used for the exec(passed along to the
> <dcode> to use) for external function access and variable passing.
>
> Something that is fast as possible would be nice too! I know there this
> is quite a request, but hopefully there will be work on it. I'd love to
> see scripting capabilities included with most programs! This would be a
> start, at least, for my programs.

The fastest one would probably be Lua - http://code.dlang.org/search?q=lua
But there are other options:
Python - http://code.dlang.org/packages/pyd
Javascript - http://code.dlang.org/search?q=javascript and
http://pointersgonewild.com/higgs/
Croc (previously miniD, a scripting language implemented in D) -
http://jfbillingsley.com/croc/