Setting up dmd properly

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 12 17:40:59 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 12 January 2016 at 21:08:30 UTC, Jason Jeffory wrote:
> (I should mention that I am exaggerating a bit, and some of the
> complaints about D are actually more directed to the
> programming community in general. D has the same fundamental
> issues though and it is just a matter of scale. Programming is
> way more fun when you are actually programming and getting the
> job done rather than fighting things that should work but
> don't. As programmers, we get used to that crap.. specially
> those that programmed in the 70's and 80's... but it doesn't
> mean it's ok. Specially when we know how to fix it. I really
> like the D language but the D tool chain should be more user
> friendly to work with on every level.)

I think there's another side of this in that what is an issue for
one person isn't necessarily an issue for another. For example,
your difficulties with static linking... you aren't the first
person to have this problem, but I personally never have. It all
seems quite straight forward to me. I was annoyed by the COFF/OMF
issue when I first started using D, sure, and that's what
prompted me to start Derelict), but it's never been a problem
that prevented me from building my D projects.

The way to solve this particular sort of problem is to have more
documentation, or tutorials, but that requires someone with the
time and motivation to write it. People who aren't having that
problem are going to be motivated to direct their time and energy
elsewhere. So I don't see this as an issue of "getting used to" a
bad situation, just one of varying opinions about what part of
the situation is bad.

I'm going to make an effort toward improving the situation with
my learningd.org site. Linking with C libraries would be a good
topic for a tutorial to go there. There is also some movement
behind the scenes right now to create a comprehensive web site
for teaching all things D, but it's going to be after the next
DConf before any concrete effort is made in that direction.

As for the toolchain... Until there is a dedicated team with a
clear goal-oriented task list and the management necessary to
keep development focused on those tasks, then development will go
in the direction that the core contributors feel they need to
direct their efforts. Anyone can champion a new cause in D's
development, and several have over the years. That's what has
driven the project forward. There have been many, many, many
discussions over the years about how unfriendly D is to new
users, or how difficult it is to get up and running with this or
that aspect of the toolchain. Most of them have resulted in
improvements. As a long time D user, I can tell you that you kids
have it much better than we did back in the day.

So things will get easier with time. Pre-D experience is what
determines the degree of difficulty in getting started with D
right now. For example, programmers who are comfortable with the
command line, particularly when using C or C++, tend to have few
difficulties with the toolchain. I'm hoping that the recent
creation of the D Foundation will create opportunities to make it
easier for /anyone/ to hit the ground running with D.