Endiannes & Splitting Values

BitGuy via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 6 14:44:37 PDT 2016

I'm trying to implement a feistel cipher that'll give the same
results regardless of the endianness of the machine it runs on.
To make the cipher I need to split a 64bit value into two 32bit
values, mess with them, and then put them back together. I can
think of a few ways to split a 64bit value with versions or the
endianness functions in bitmanip but it all seems pretty messy
for just wanting to split a value... I'm thinking maybe I can
just cast and bitshift so I can forget about the endianness but
I'm not really sure about the casting down rules and if that'd
work?