returning constant references from class methods

celavek via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 19 05:30:49 PDT 2016

Hi,

I'm trying the following code:

class counter
{
public:

     final ulong[char] nucleotide_counts () const
     {
         return cached_counts;
     }

private:
     ulong[char] cached_counts;
}

void main()

I get the following error from the compiler:

    Error: cannot implicitly convert expression
(this.cached_counts) of type const(ulong[char]) to ulong[char]

I tried making the class variable constant, I tried the const in
the return type but I can't seem to get it right.

I would like to return a constant reference to the internal
associative array - much like in C++. How would I do that in D?