How to search for an enum by values and why enum items aren't unique

Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 20 11:20:54 PDT 2016

On 07/19/2016 09:03 PM, stunaep wrote:

 > And why on earth are different enum items with the same values
 > equal to each other?

I've seen code where it made sense. Searching for an example reveals:

enum Scope
{
     Transient,
     Singleton,
     Default=Transient
}

 > Seems to me like there's no reason to even use enums in D.

I don't know how they are used in Java but they are very common in
C-style code like your if-else if chain is. (Equally useful with the
switch statement). There are other ways of achieving the same thing; OOP
is just one.

 > What's the point when just making a constant would do the same
 > exact thing?

enum groups a set of values under a type. For example, you can write a
function that accepts enum Color and it expects just the values that it
contains. I think it's useful.

Ali