Why D isn't the next "big thing" already

llaine via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 27 03:27:08 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 27 July 2016 at 09:28:49 UTC, chmike wrote:

> The reason I'm switching to Go is because
> 1. there is a much larger community and code base (it's easier
> to find code snippet, help or programmers)

I agree with you, but when I'm having trouble I always go to IRC
and the guys there are always nice and help me a lot. (Don't know
the GO community for that).

> 2. go routines (fibers integrated into the language, plug &
> play)
> 3. GC performance (no stop the world hiccups)
> 4. Web server && IO performance (see:
> https://www.techempower.com/benchmarks or
> https://github.com/nanoant/WebFrameworkBenchmark).

On this point I strongly disagree with you.
In my company I've deployed a D app using Vibe.d for internal
purposes.

The app is around 4000 loc, used in average by 30 people
simultanously and is deployed on heroku free (512 MB RAM │ 1
web/1 worker) and the maximum response time is around 300ms.

Is way beyond every other app that we could have.

Look at this benchmark it's more up to date :
https://github.com/llaine/benchmarks