Empty LST files?

Thalamus via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 31 07:03:49 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 31 July 2016 at 10:05:04 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
> On Sunday, 31 July 2016 at 08:29:47 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
>> On Sunday, 31 July 2016 at 01:10:40 UTC, Thalamus wrote:
>>> Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
>>
>> Yes, what's going wrong is quite
>
> actually you said that the LST is well generated but empty so
> my previous answer is  wrong, also i was focused on unittest
> coverage which doesn't seem to be what you want to verify.

Thank Basile. Yes, these aren't unit tests, but rather
integration tests, end-to-end tests, etc., all of which are
driven from external EXEs. This is a complex application
consisting (thus far) of 17 D and C# projects. Within a single
project, D (and Visual D) work very well, but across projects
I've run into a lot of challenges. Not being able to build these
projects into DLLs without resorting to C-linkage for D-to-D
interop (which Benjamin Thaut is working on fixing) was tough to
swallow, and I can't used LIBs because in some cases I have
projects that are not referenced at build time but whose classes
are instead discovered at run time, so I'm forced to resort to
OBJs for now. Code coverage is a must, though, so I'm really
digging in here.

I found part of the problem: Hitting F5 in Visual Studio after a
fresh rebuild was giving me an error "cannot launch debugger...
hr = 89710016" which looks to be related to Visual D. Subsequent
runs work fine, but it was annoying me so I added the EXE itself
as the startup project. This ran properly every time, but it
resulted the LST files ending up in the build folder, and they
were all empty. So I switched back to the test project as the
startup project and, after the errant run, it generated LSTs in
the EXE project root folder as expected. In this case, all the
test EXE LST files were populated as expected, but all of the
LSTs for the code being tested were still empty. I really don't
need code coverage numbers for the test code, and currently I
still get none for the code I do need to measure. But it's still
progress.

If anyone else has ideas I'd love to hear them. Otherwise, if I
figure it out, I will add a quick explanation to this thread.

thanks!