Preferred method of creating objects, structs, and arrays with deterministic memory management

Seb via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 1 01:51:48 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 1 June 2016 at 07:59:50 UTC, Anthony Monterrosa
wrote:
> I've recently been trying to convince a friend of mine that D
> has at least the functionality of C++, and have been learning
> the language over C++ for a few months. Memory management is
> pretty important to him, and a subject I'm honestly curious
> about as well. I was wondering: what's the preferred method for
> deterministic memory management?
>
> [...]

You should watch this year's dconf keynote. The plan is to make
the GC usage opt-in.
There is also the company weka that does high performance storage
and turned off the gc entirely and allocates all exception on
startup.vstartup. Their CTO gave a really nice talk too.

http://dconf.org/2016/talks/zvibel.html

If you want to convince your friend, tell him that using the GC
is more productive and he still can do manual memory management
or use RefCounted if really needed for the performance. That
being said also reference counting and other techniques come at a
cost.

Btw The videos aren't up yet, but the live stream is archived.