Speed up `dub`.

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 4 01:04:17 PDT 2016

On Tue, 2016-05-24 at 09:00 +0200, Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-
learn wrote:

[…]
> I think that by default Dub should not check dependencies. There
> should
> be an explicit command to install the dependencies.

Dub must check all dependencies before starting a build, the question
is whether is should download and build them or just fail.

Gradle currently checks and downloads as required. This can be very
annoying in that there is an assumption of "always connected" and
"infinite data allowance". This can be very, very annoying when not
connected or connected with a very limited connection. On the other
hand, the build never fails due to ailed dependencies unless the
dependency doesn't actually exist in the search path. For JVM language
builds most people put both Bintray and Maven Central in the path and
more or less all sensible dependencies live in one of those place – for
FOSS stuff of course, for proprietary you are on your own :-)

Gradle does now though build C++ stuff so there is already a dependency
system. I am likely to try creating a D plugin for Gradle and then copy
the Gradle way of doing things for SCons.

I wonder of Dub should focus on using the same repositories for
dependencies as Gradle does, not to avoif the Dub repository so much as
to hijack native code build of C++ and ensure those people have D on
offer.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk