dlang.org using apache?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 8 09:23:13 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 16:07:26 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 15:57:42 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> Huh? No, as long as D is not backed by some giant like Google
>> or Apple it has to do its own marketing and showcase its own
>> stuff where it can.
>
> the key words are "where it can". rewriting already working
> tools (perfectly working) in D is "marketing for the marketing
> sake". if there are money to waste, an engineer can be hired to
> rewrite such tools. otherwise, it is much wiser to reuse
> existing ones.

Yes, no point in writing your own forum software. However, if you
need nginx to perform on a small scale site like dlang.org then
you basically say that the D http stack is not yet competitive
with C++.

Contrast that to:
- Vibe.d is so great that we don't need a front end to perform
well.

> so they should pass-by. D is the language to build tools, not
> some "batteries included" language. this is The Way to market
> it, i believe.

Fair enough, maybe that is more honest, but it doesn't drive the
project forward to a situation where it can showcase
"download-compile-install" starting points.

And that is what most people want. Most people want to solve a
specific problem. If you have something they can make work right
away and then modify then you are more like to be adopted.