dlang.org using apache?

Seb via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 8 09:40:05 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 13:32:00 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 13:13:07 UTC, Jonathan Marler
> wrote:
>> I've decided to write a web application using vibe and was
>> shocked to see that dlang.org was using apache.
>>
>> Should I be scared that even after this long, the official D
>> website doesn't rely on its own web tools?
>
> No, you shouldn't. Like everything else, it's a matter of
> priorities and resources. Currently, code.dlang.org and
> tour.dlang.org both run on vibe.d, both of which were put
> together by community members. The forums here is Vladimir's
> DFeed, which he developed with his own web tools. There may yet
> come a time when someone converts dlang.org to a vibe.d web
> app, but it almost certainly isn't going to be any of the core
> team members. They have enough on their plate already.

Btw for development dlang.org uses vibed since 2.5 years ;-)

```
make -f posix.mak apidocs-serve
```

It will run ddox on every request.

> Hell, if it's ever been brought up in the forums before now, I
> don't remember seeing it. While it would be great in terms of
> dog fooding to see such a project, I personally don't see that
> it's a big deal if dlang.org runs on Apache. Maybe if you've
> got some extra time... :)

I agree - this is bikeshedding. We all rely on existing software
for our day to day life. I quickly checked the first hit server
for other languages - have a look:

rust.org: nginx
php.net: nginx
julia.org: Apache
scala-lang.org: Apache
julia-lang.org: Github
python.org: nginx
www.cplusplus.com: Apache
perl.org: Apache
developer.mozilla.org: Apache
ruby-lang.org: nginx
swift.org: Apache

... and the last time I checked all of them use the C
implementation of git for their source code ;-)

Mike's call for help was about actively _improving_ dlang.org by
pointing out

- what is (or could be) confusing for newcomers
- bad written texts
- missing examples
- not user-friendly parts of the documentation
- missing info
- ...

Basically everything that could stop someone from having awesome
first five minutes with D!