Asio Bindings?

Joerg Joergonson via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 10 21:11:59 PDT 2016

On Friday, 10 June 2016 at 20:52:46 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On 6/9/16, Joerg Joergonson via Digitalmars-d-learn
> <digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Just to show that I'm not full of shit, here's the e-mail chain:
>
> On 6/3/11, Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:
>>[...]
>

> On 6/7/11, Yvan Grabit <y.grabit at steinberg.de> wrote:
>> [...]
>

> On 6/23/11, Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:
>>[...]
>

> On 6/23/11, Yvan Grabit <y.grabit at steinberg.de> wrote:
>> [...]
>

> On 6/23/11, Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:
>>[...]
>
> --------
>
> Unfortunately this is the last I've heard from them at the
> time..

Well, I definitely didn't think you were full of shit! But I see
no negative statements against doing what you did. They simply
said that you can't include their code directly... they want
people who download your code to have to download the sdk from
Steinberg.

You own your code, no one else, not even Steinberg... but you
don't own or have the right, as they mention, to publish their
code with yours.

Creating bindings is not a license infraction.

>> [...]

Are you using any of their source code from the vst sdk? If you
hand re-write any of their source code, it is yours.

You say that the only two files from the sdk are aeffect.h and
aeffectx.h, right?

Is it these:

https://github.com/falkTX/dssi-vst/blob/master/vestige/aeffectx.h

https://sourceforge.net/u/geyan123d/freepiano/ci/54f876d52c6f49925495f7ed880bd2434bda0504/tree/src/vst/aeffect.h?format=raw

http://www.dith.it/listing/vst_stuff/vstsdk2.4/doc/html/aeffect_8h.html

https://source.openmpt.org/svn/openmpt/branches/devBranch_1_17_03/include/AEffect.h

etc...

If so, as you can see, people already do what your wanting to do
and their is probably a reason they stopped responding, and it's
because they can't do much as long as you don't include anything
from them.

Of course, don't take my word... maybe ask on stack overflow or
something? If you are simply worried about being sued then that
problem is relatively easily fixed! Just ask Walter or Andrei to
fund your defense ;)

Don't let your hard work go to waste! ;) I think you should be
more afraid of all the questions I'll be asking you on how to use
it rather than being sued by Steinberg! ;)