What's up with GDC?

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 11 20:22:06 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 12 June 2016 at 02:09:24 UTC, Joerg Joergonson wrote:
> Ok, So I started an empty project and I found all the libs that
> are required from all of VS, SDK, LDC, DMD, etc and put them in
> 4 folders:
>
> Libs\COFF\x86
> Libs\COFF\x64
> Libs\OMF\x86
> Libs\OMF\x64

There's no need for OMF\x64. OPTLINK is 32-bit only. That's why
DMD uses the MS tools for 64-bit. And you never need OMF for LDC.

> fixed up sc.ini and VD to use them and worked on stuff until I
> had no lib errors with the test project. I could compile with
> all versions now(DMD x86/64, LDC x86/64)

You said in your previous post that DMD was working fine for you.
I would recommend against editing sc.ini except in the case where
you do manual installs of DMD and need to configure it to work
with Visual Studio. It's a pain to have to do it every time you
update. Much better to use the installer and let it configure the
VS paths for you.

> So, ldc is essentially working... gdc probably is the same if I
> can figure out how to get the proper binaries(not that
> arm-unknown-linux crap) that are not so far out of date. At
> this point I still need to get ldc to work though.

I would recommend against GDC for now. Until someone steps up and
starts packaging regular MinGW-based releases, it's probably not
worth it.

> I probably just need to figure out how to properly include the
> library files mentioned in my other post.
>
> I did try to include the path to the files in VD's LDC settings
> section but it did nothing.

Did you also include the libraries in the project settings? You
can:

A) Add the path to 'Library Search Path' and add the library
names to 'Library Files' or,
B) Add the full path and filename for each library to 'Library
Files'.

I strongly recommend against doing this for system libraries like
OpenGL. If LDC is configured to know where your VS installation
is (the only version of LDC I've ever used was an old MinGW-based
one, so I don't know how the VS version finds the MS libraries),
then you should only need to include the file name and it will
use the one from the MS SDK.