Local fixed sized arrays

Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 27 18:56:18 PDT 2016

You said "setting the size at compile time", so I got confused. :)

 > Might be 5 or 100. This doesn't handle it, does it?

No, it doesn't handle it. However, if the maximum length is reasonably
small, then you can create the largest array and use first part of it:

import std.stdio;

enum maxElements = 100;

void foo(int y) {
     bool[maxElements] storage;
     bool[] x = storage[0..y];
     x[y/2] = true;
     writeln(x);
}

void main() {
     foo(5);
}

However, the ~= operator on x would still involve the GC.

 > I already make a simple malloc based array that does what I want. Looks
 > like a normal array with ~=, [], foreach.

That's basically the same as std.container.Array, which already comes
with a bool specialization:

import std.stdio;
import std.container;

void foo(int y) {
     auto x = Array!bool();
     x.length = y;
     x[y/2] = true;
     writeln(x[]);
}

void main() {
     foo(5);
}

 > Does what I need it to do.  Only works with BasicTypes of course.

I would expect yours to work with user-defined types as well.

Ali