Where to go after "Programming in D"

David DeWitt via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 1 09:21:16 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 1 March 2016 at 16:50:12 UTC, karabuta wrote:
> I am almost done with the "programming in D" book. Where will
> you suggest a go from there. My current focus is on network
> programming, database systems, data manipulation and software
> architectures for database related apps(mostly Linux platforms
> with D).
>
> I am aiming to become a hardcore and better coder(quality code)
> than you :) Please suggest.

I'd probably skim thru the Language Reference and Phobos.  After
that I would practice using Ranges and get a better grasp on the
functions in std.algorithms.  std.algorithm has some good stuff
for dealing with data.  Since you want to do Network programming
I would suggest Vibe.d and read thru the source of it.  Also
whatever DB you normally use check out the projects for those
drivers and maybe contribute as some need ppl.  Since you say you
want to become "hardcore" I would suggest porting some popular
libraries over to D.  After that maybe look to get involved in
Phobos and/or the compiler of your choosing.