Void pointers

Alex via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue May 17 06:14:40 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 17 May 2016 at 12:24:58 UTC, ag0aep6g wrote:
> On 05/17/2016 12:53 PM, Alex wrote:
>> 2. If I want to be able to slice a iota, I have to initialize
>> it with
>> the last number. But the object, which stores the pointer does
>> not need
>> to know anything about this number. So, I rather would not
>> like to pass
>> this number only for being able to instantiate the iota struct.
>
> How do you make a slice without the last number? You need two
> numbers for iota, and you need two numbers for a slice.

For a slice I surely need two numbers. But this should all be,
what I need for a slice. For a iota, I need a maximum, which is
not provided (at least at this moment) to the object containing
the pointer/iota thing.
On the other hand, I can't live without a "real" object which I
slice, so I need either a iota or a pointer. This is due that all
the slices I have are totally ordered.