Basic question about stderr

Era Scarecrow via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat May 21 14:54:43 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 21:47:20 UTC, chaseratx wrote:
> Thanks Era, but I am not trying to fix the range error.  That
> was put there intentionally to create stderr output.  I'm
> trying to figure out how to get ALL stderr output directed to a
> file the same as if I had used a "2>error.log" redirect from
> the command line.

  Ahh, I didn't realize you were intentionally trying to use the
exception for the error output.

  I wonder, this sounds like a TLS (Thread Local Storage) issue
where the local thread's stderr was updated but the global
(shared?) one wasn't.

https://dlang.org/phobos/std_stdio.html#.stderr

The stderr is defined as "File stderr", not shared. I'm convinced
TLS is the likely culprit. Unless you can affect the original
instantiation it probably isn't going to work. I just tried using
a static this() and it has a similar effect but doesn't affect
stderr. :(