String compare in words?

Christophe Meessen via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon May 30 02:58:32 PDT 2016

I didn't check assembly for '=='. What I have seen is that struct
comparison in dmd is implemented as byte per byte compare even if the
struct is 64bit long (e.g. Rebindable).  I suppose dmd uses this
strategy because struct/array may not be 64bit aligned, or they could
have different alignment.

In order to use the suggested optimization we need a good planet
alignment.  The effort to check that, or enforce it, is not worth the
benefit on average.

There could be a benefit in specific use cases where the alignment is
ensured.

I would be interested in such optimization with Rebindable. Can the 'is'
operator be overloaded ?

--
Bien cordialement,

Ch.Meessen