Sockets and using them...

Era Scarecrow via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Nov 6 02:28:44 PST 2016

On Sunday, 6 November 2016 at 09:51:41 UTC, sarn wrote:
> It sounds like you want to do the same thing: design a protocol
> that includes some kind of message that's agreed to mean, "Yo,
> make a new connection on this port."  Basically, any
> off-the-shelf textbook on network protocol design will help you.
>
> <snip>
>
> Quirks of different NAT implementations cause huge pain to
> everyone who tries to deploy a peer-to-peer system.

  Yeah, I was hoping it would be 'redirect to this port instead'
so you wouldn't have to make a new connection. With port
forwarding and other issues involved, I can see a big problem.
Once you are using a port I'm pretty sure it will be locked
(although if multiple can share the same port, I'd be fine with
that too, as long as I know what IP address it came from).

  I suppose I can simply write it and try to get it working...