Floating-point Modulus math.fmod

Fendercaster via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Nov 6 13:45:28 PST 2016

I'm not quite sure if this is the right forum to ask this
question:
I've been trying to implement the "floating-point modulus"
function from the math library. Equivalently that's what I've
tried in Python too. Problem is - the results are different and
not even close. Please have a look at both snippets. Maybe
someone can help me out:

[code = D]
import std.math;
import std.stdio;

immutable real MODULUS = 1e8;

real floatModPow(real base, ulong exp, real mod)
{
     real r = 1.0;

     while (exp) {
         if (exp & 1) r = fmod(r * base, mod);
         exp >>= 1;
         base = fmod(base*base, mod);
     }

     return r;
}

void main()
{
     floatModPow(3.866, 987654321UL, MODULUS).writeln;
}
[/code]

In this case the result is 6.44588e+07.

[code = Python]
import math

MOD = 1e8

def fpmod(b, e, m):
     r = 1.0
     while e:
         if (e & 1):
             r = math.fmod(r * b, m)
         e >>= 1
         b = math.fmod(b * b, m)
     return r

print (fpmod(3.866, 987654321, MOD))
[/code]

In this case the result is 82031250.0.

AFAIK the D.fmod and Python.fmod functions serve the same
purpose. What am I missing?