-fPIC related error compiling hello_world.d with dmd

Alessandro via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 18 05:09:21 PST 2016

Hi everyone,
I'm almost ashamed to ask help on this...
I used dmd/dub on an arch linux machine for some time in the past
without any problem.
Now I'm experiencing a strange problem after switching to a
debian jessie (testing) machine when compiling even the simplest
hello_world application :( !!
After successfully compiling the source file, I get hundreds of
linker error messages of the form:

/usr/bin/ld:
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libphobos2.a(aaA_52e_53e.o): relocation
R_X86_64_32 against symbol `__dmd_personality_v0' can not be used
when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

It looks like the linker cannot link together phobos library
modules into the final binary or something like that.
I'm using the official package dmd_2.072.0-0_amd64.deb from dlang
website, but also the package in debian repositories (version
2.071.2) does the same.
Any idea what the problem might be?